Why I Hate Landscape Fabric: An Unfair and Unbalanced Look at Weed Cloth

by Genevieve on October 14, 2010

The other day I wrote up a post about how to use landscape fabric without screwing it up. Previously I’d written about when using landscape fabric is a good idea and when it’s not.

Sometimes I try to be fair and balanced on an issue so I don’t sound like some kind of gardening zealot. Today isn’t one of those times.

I think landscape fabric sucks.

There, I said it. I regret using it in nearly every case that I have, and I try my hardest to show my clients why they shouldn’t use it, either. I’m not judging you if you want to try using the stuff – I understand why people want to, and if you’re going to use it, I want to share with you how to use it right.

But after 14 years of designing and maintaining gardens professionally, it’s a rare garden where I go – oh yeah, that landscape fabric really worked out well!

Here’s why I hate it so:

1. Because it sucks the life out of your soil.

Your soil is the happy home of billions and trillions of micro-organisms which work to break down organic and mineral matter into usable nutrients for your plants to use for growth.

What’s that mean in normal language? Your established shrubs and trees don’t have to depend on you to fertilize them, because you’ve got this crazy army of micro-beasties making fertilizer out of your existing soil. How’s that for a money saver?

I’m not a scientist, so I don’t know the stats on it, but I can tell you what I have seen over and over again with my own eyes. After ten years, you pull up the landscape fabric, and that soil is dead. Like – dead, dead.

Soil that started out cool, crumbly, loose – a soil that plants could stretch, wiggle their toes, and relax into – becomes hard, dusty, impossible to dig with your hands. There’s no organic matter left, water runs off the surface, and it’s hard to dig new planting holes. I don’t know what’s going on under a microscope, but what you can see with your bare eyes is a big soil FAIL.

2. It kills the earthworms.

Or at least it makes them go away. Earthworms like to do two things that are incompatible with landscape fabric: they like to eat compost, and they like to poke their heads out of the soil periodically to breathe and wriggle and do their earthwormy thing.

Earthworms rock because they keep your soil aerated with all their tunneling and wiggling, and their castings have all kinds of nutrients that help your plants grow. A soil without earthworms quickly becomes hard and sad.

3. The compost disappears surprisingly fast.

In like three years, a substantial dose of compost or manure can break down and be used up by plants. The natural way is to have a slow, steady dose of compost making its way into the soil from the surface – either leaf litter or a layer of composty goodness, or your wood chips slowly breaking down and adding organic matter to the soil.

This keeps the earthworms and soil microbes happily chomping away and creating free fertilizer for you, keeps the soil aerated and crumbly from all that happy earthworm wriggling, and keeps the soil cool and able to hold moisture.

4. Plant roots grow on top of the landscape fabric, which isn’t doing them any favors.

Plants like to grow in happy mulchy stuff. You put happy mulchy stuff on top of your landscape fabric to hide it and keep it from degrading in the sunshine. Your plants send out roots on top of the fabric into the mulch, and then can’t find their way into the soil because there’s this crazy barrier blocking them.

This makes your plants less able to tolerate drought and stress, makes them more dependent on you to water because their feeder roots aren’t plugged into the damp depths of the soil, and makes it harder for them to extract nutrients from the soil, because so many of their roots aren’t actually in the soil.

This is made even sadder when you rip up your landscape fabric in ten years, which you will because by that time it will no longer be functioning as a weed barrier (stuff only lasts so long). You’ll be inadvertently ripping out all kinds of plant roots that have grown entangled with the fabric.

5. The fabric is butt-ugly, and you will know this because it is so slick that a stiff wind will blow the mulch off of it.

The landscape fabric will become exposed anyplace where you didn’t smooth the soil below thoroughly enough, or where you have too steep a slope, or if there are whooshing ornamental grasses that brush back and forth against the ground in the wind.

Sprinting dogs, kids, digging cats, and heavy rains will all expose your landscape fabric at times. And if you get too low on mulch, you’ll find it impossible to adequately rake the mulch back over the black expanse.

And a black plasticky moonscape is exactly what we dream of when envisioning our ideal garden, riiight?

6. If you get behind on your weeding, it’s a nightmare to get the weeds out.

So, it’s supposed to cut down on your weeding time, right? And it sort of does, for the first year or so when the weeds in the top of your soil would have all been sprouting. Beyond that, you’re weeding the same amount you would otherwise have been, and if you get behind on it, watch out!

Once the weeds’ roots get entangled in the fabric, it’s very hard to remove them effectively. You can end up with a more difficult weeding problem than you had in the first place, with the weeds’ roots firmly gripping the threads in the landscape fabric so that all you can do is rip their tops off. Fun times.

In addition, you need to put wood mulch on top of the fabric to prevent the sun from degrading it, but wood mulch does break down into compost in time. That means in five years, you essentially have a layer of delicious growing medium on top of your fabric for weed roots to sprout in. What was the point of landscape fabric again?

7. It’s a petroleum product. Yuck!

I’m not some kind of “plastics must die” purist. Some of my favorite gardening tools have plastic handles or plastic parts. But if we can avoid supporting the petrochemical industry by saving ourselves labor and doing something great for our gardens, then that’s just another benefit in the “no landscape fabric” checklist.

I won’t even get into what chemicals it might be releasing into the soil. They don’t exactly make BPA-free landscaping fabric like they do water bottles!

8. It’s expensive and time-consuming to install.

At about .50 per square foot, plus .12 a pin, it’s not cheap to install. Those square feet add up fast.

The installation rates about a 2 on the “damn it” scale – you’ll probably only let fly with a couple of expletives while putting the stuff down, but it will take up your afternoon and make any future planting a “damn it”-worthy task in itself.

9. You better be sure you wanted your plants there.

You know how so much of gardening seems to be planting something and figuring if it doesn’t do great you’ll try it someplace else? Or shifting plants a couple feet to the right when they overgrow your pathway? It’s a process of experimentation, at least for most of us.

And it’s not a process that is very smooth with landscape fabric. Dig up, sweep soil off fabric, patch fabric, cut new hole, dig hole, plant new plant, sweep soil off fabric and smooth soil perfectly again, re-pin everything, move mulch back. Whew! I’m ready for a nap. You’ll think twice before airily declaring that you’ll just move it if it’s no good there.

10. Goodbye Love-in-a-Mist, Cerinthe, and surprise volunteers.

Because your reseeding annuals won’t come up where there’s landscape fabric, or if they do, they’ll fail rather suddenly just before bloom because they can’t get their roots into the soil.

Like to do annuals or casually tuck in bulbs each fall? No planting decision is casual with landscape fabric down, and if you do cut a hole in the fabric for some bulbs, you better hope the gophers don’t push them around. I’ve seen bulbs pushed a foot or two off the mark and try to come up from under the fabric. Very sad indeed.

So what’s your alternative?

Well, briefly – use a shedload of mulch! Good weed-free wood chip mulch, and a nice thick 3-4″ layer of it, keeps any weed seeds on the soil surface from sprouting. It breaks down slowly, adds a little something to the soil as it goes, and you can always rake it to the side to add additional compost, plant, or allow re-seeders to spread.

Wood chips take away nitrogen in the top inch of soil, which does not affect good plants in the least (except tiny seedlings or groundcovering plants like Creeping Thyme, Blue Star Creeper, or other 3″ tall or smaller plants). This is actually great news because it really helps suppress weed seedlings that are trying to sprout.

There are a ton of other ways of controlling weeds simply and organically, but a thick layer of wood chip mulch in beds is the easiest and most effective thing to do, and the effect truly is comparable to using landscape fabric with none of the icky side effects.

Want to read more about landscape fabric?

When Using Landscape Fabric Can Be The Right Choice

How to Use Landscape Fabric Without Screwing it Up

How about you?

Do you use landscape fabric in your garden beds? Has it turned out well for you or been a big fat bummer? Let me know in the comments below.

Matti October 14, 2010 at 3:47 pm

you bring up many good points. I have not used it since about two houses ago (many years ago). and I never thought about how it affects worms, microbs…etc. well done. Matti

Deborah April 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm

HOORAY!!! I do restoration along waterways and originally I was instructed to lay this stuff down first and then plant our plants. The idea would be that it is less maintenance. HA so long as no leaves land on it making dirt, no floods come leaving sediment, and so long as you can get in there and pull it up fast. (All of these things happen on a regular basis). At any rate, I wondered if I was the only one that hated the stuff. Thank you thank you thank you. The stuff as you said just sucks!

Genevieve October 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Matti! I’m glad you’ve moved on from using the stuff. It really isn’t any fun to pull it up and see the destruction to the soil underneath.
I loved your most recent post on that native garden, by the way! Nice!

David C October 14, 2010 at 4:23 pm

GREAT piece on one of the BIGGEST wastes of money in the landscape here in NM. Let me add more on ls fabric:
1) makes repair of irrigation or plants require more time and labor
2) in MOST cases I have had, in the windy and dusty SW, weed seeds germinate more readily where ls fabric is used than where it is not (under gravel mulch)
3) it is symtomatic of laziness and horiticultural disconnection
I better stop. Thanks for your thoughts!

Genevieve October 14, 2010 at 4:34 pm

David, I can see I need to go on over and read your blog, because we are soulmates on this topic. Sing it, brother!

rebecca sweet October 15, 2010 at 7:01 am

Another ROCKING post, Gen! Holy Cow – you’re on a ROLL these days! Such a great topic and so eloquently put. I will, most definitely, be sending some of my clients this post when I get asked for the umpteenth time ‘will you be installing landscape fabric?’…

Genevieve October 15, 2010 at 9:19 am

Thanks Rebecca!! I hope it can change a few people’s minds. I’ve been trying to let it be up to the client and just guide them with the pros and cons – and, well, I still do that – it’s their garden! But I think the reason people hire us professionals is so that we can guide them clearly about what we think is the best decision. Sometimes subtlety isn’t our friend.

Anna Flowergardengirl October 15, 2010 at 7:30 am

Thank you for such a thorough and informative post. I was just struggling with putting some down for a client. I didn’t want to–so now I can tell her why and that I’m backed by professional opinion.

Have a nice weekend and big hugs.

Genevieve October 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

Thanks, Anna! I am so glad to provide some solid backup here! I’ve put it down many times myself and I so, so regret it. I still have to occasionally – but I make sure people know what they’re getting into when they do it!

James Hitz October 15, 2010 at 7:35 am

Wow. I have a new hero. Great to hear it from a professional. I do use it when laying a block patio or if I want a mulch or stone path that I know won’t change. Like you said it pretty much kills what is underneath. Question: Will 3-4″ of mulch make it hard for those perennials to get rooted? I usually only use about 2″ of wood or leaf mulch and keep after the weeding.

Genevieve October 15, 2010 at 9:30 am

James – If I’m gonna be your hero I better go find some vividly-colored tights!

I don’t object to it when putting down hardscape. I think a big part of gardening for good soil is designating areas that are walkable so that the rest of the garden doesn’t get trod upon.

OK, so your question is a bit tricky. What I do is plant each perennial on a small mound. I make sure all the roots are covered completely by soil, but the top 2″ of plant is sticking up out of the ground in a mounded volcano. Again, the roots are totally covered by soil! But by planting high like this, I can bring the mulch up to the plant and not have it covering the plant’s base.

So I use a tiny bit less mulch right at the base of each individual plant, because I don’t wish to bury them in mulch, and at the same time each plant is sitting a tiny bit higher then the soil level everywhere else, with its roots covered in a sloping mound of soil.

I should really take photos of this process, because I plant this way, the landscapers I know plant this way, but I’ve never seen a home gardener plant this way.

If you have existing plants, just use 3-4″ of mulch around the plants and taper down to a 1-2″ layer right around each plants’ base. After all, the plants’ roots will outcompete weeds for the most part, so in the spots where plants are actively growing we really only need mulch for soil health and to keep roots cool and moist. a 2″ layer will certainly do for that! I am not sure that 2″ is quite enough to keep weeds down effectively, though if you keep up with your weeding then maybe that’s not a problem for you!!

Thanks for asking, James.

Jenny Peterson October 15, 2010 at 11:56 am

Great information about soil health/irrigation/earthworms, etc! I don’t use it with my clients, with one caveat: I will use a contractor’s grade underneath large areas of rock or decomposed granite. There are no plantings in these areas and irrigation heads are capped off. It does deter weeds if you use the proper quality, but I hate hate HATE it in beds for all the above reasons!!

Genevieve October 16, 2010 at 8:06 am

I agree, Jenny – if you’re essentially making a hardscape area where plants will not be growing, then I think it’s fine. It does work well under paths, and I like that it keeps the soil and gravel from mixing.

Laura October 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

Thanks so much for an article I can send to my clients and contractors that explains why the stuff SUCKS!!! You are sososo right! And sooner or later you will see it.

My struggle is with whether or not to put it under gravel–I say know, my installers almost always say yes….But all the wonderful self seeders that pop up through gravel are then foiled. Also, I feel that the gravel moves around a lot less if it is contact with the soil, which it can lock into.

Truly, thank you, and now I shall spread your words far and wide….

Genevieve October 16, 2010 at 8:08 am

Hi Laura – Well, I feel like taking up landscape fabric and regenerating the soil might be an easier process than removing gravel from soil once it’s gotten incorporated, but it’s a toss-up, Laura, because you make good points too. I am a big fan of self-seeders and there is no self-seeding happening with landscape cloth!

Laura October 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

Last post–meant to say “no” not “know”….

Debra Lee Baldwin October 15, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Wow, you’ve convinced me. I did use landscpe cloth in a few areas of my garden, but not much, and sort of felt that I should have used it more in order to do the job right. So true about it not working on slopes—slides right off.

Genevieve October 16, 2010 at 8:11 am

Thanks for stopping by, Debra! I’m glad you’re on the no-fabric train with the rest of us! It seems like such a good idea until you live with it a while.

You can kind of make it work on slopes by using it fuzzy side up and then using a shredded mulch instead of a chipped one – but why do all that when you could use a coir or jute netting for erosion control and then some lovely groundcovering and other plants to hold the soil instead!

Cindy Graebner October 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm

You are so so right…HATE the stuff!!!!

Jean October 15, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I love you for your honesty. Thank you for putting it out there. I cannot agree more. Well said.

Genevieve October 16, 2010 at 8:11 am

Thanks, Jean!! :)

Rita Xavier October 15, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I totally agree with everything you wrote. I moved into this house & garden a year ago. The property has well-established plantings from the past 60 years. At some point, the owners used landscape fabric, and as I plant new treasures (or treasures I moved here in containers from my last home), I have been ripping out the fabric for precisely the reasons you stated. I am a novice, so didn’t know if I was doing the right thing, but decided that I hate the stuff. I’ll just keep getting rid of it and make all the plants happy.

Genevieve October 16, 2010 at 8:13 am

Go, Rita!!! I ripped the stuff out of one garden that it had been in for 15 years, and suddenly, within about two months – everything greened up and looked startlingly more healthy. I was even surprised at the difference.

Amanda October 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm

When I moved in, my garden had an area with landscape fabric–under 4 inches of dirt, composted mark mulch, and matted, thwarted root masses. It took a lot of time and sweat to lever the stuff up, and if I had not formed a strong opinion before, I will certainly never use it now. I did not use it under my gravel path, and don’t regret it. I did re-use a chunk of the stuff in the bottom of a water trough turned planter, though. I thought it might be useful in keeping the dirt from washing out. I can’t say it’s done any harm there.

Genevieve October 16, 2010 at 8:14 am

Amanda, I could not agree more. It can be a very unpleasant task to remove fabric that’s been in a while. One of the most rewarding in the end – the plants do so much better – but yeah – taking it our when there is 4″ of soil and matted roots on top is a mess!!

Amanda October 18, 2010 at 11:50 am

May I ask an off-topic question? Echinacea, can they thrive in Eureka with proper care, or will they always wish for more sun and heat?

Annie Hayes October 16, 2010 at 9:00 am

great post Genvieve!

andrea October 16, 2010 at 9:12 am

One more reason not to use weed fabric: it doesn’t let water through! Soil particles build up on the surface and quickly “clog” the fabric “pores,” preventing water from getting to thirsty plant roots.

Genevieve October 17, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Excellent point, Andrea! I have seen it get “clogged” in this way and it’s no run seeing the plants suffer.

Kat White October 16, 2010 at 10:13 am

Very well put. I’m glad you covered just what weed fabric does to your soil. So many people only think of the short term results. I honestly hate it because as you said, it always makes an appearance. Then it looks ratty for ages because the homeowner is too busy or lazy to fix it.

Liz October 16, 2010 at 7:19 pm

The only place I “saw” landscape fabric that I liked was under a dry streambed, and it took a second to actually find it: it was well hidden. I’ve stopped some people from using it: and I think they were surprised at how little weeding you really need.

Genevieve October 17, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Liz, I too think people are surprised when they see how well mulch by itself keeps the weeds down. Landscape Fabric’s really mostly a gimmick. It has a few good uses but it’s not as widely useful as people believe.

Curiri October 16, 2010 at 8:39 pm

So happy I read this article before transplanting my roses. I was going to lay some fabric and then add a couple of inches of mulch. I’ll just do without the fabric.
BTW, I can transplant anytime because I live in Puerto Rico; average temp. of 70-90 degrees F all year.

Michelle October 17, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I use ls fabric to line the bottom of the seasonal pots on my deck – keeps the soil inside the pot & the ants from crawling up the drain holes. Have noticed how the plant roots do entwine themselves in through the material & how soggy the material is even at the end of the season after watering has stopped for a few weeks.

I used it to line a couple of my veggie beds in the hopes that it would help keep the soil inside the raised bed versus allowing it to disappear & run out during our 6 months of winter rain & have definitely noticed a lack of bug & worm activity. Might have to puncture holes in it to allow the bugs to return… Won’t be doing that with the new beds planned for next year!!

Genevieve October 17, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Yep! I’ve seen people line veggie beds like that too – in the hopes of keeping gophers out along with the reason you stated! As you’ve found – there are definitely drawbacks. For those wanting to deter gophers some chicken wire works so, so much better.

Julie October 17, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I wish they could ban it from stores. I think it is evil. I, like others who have commented, am suffering from inheriting landscape fabric laid by the former owner of my house. No doubt, she thought she was caring for her garden by using it. I have been steadily ripping it out every time I want to put in new plants. A novice, even I could tell how destructive the fabric was to the soil underneath. I live in a wooded area, so the poor soil never got to make any contact with all the leaf matter falling on the ground regularly over the years. I don’t know which is worse–the amount of physical labor required to rip it out, seeing how ineffectual it has been in keeping weeds and strong tree roots from growing through it, or discovering the condition of the soil underneath, which almost breaks my heart.

My question–I have been adding compost to all the holes I dig, but it sounds to me like I should be amending further since the soil previously covered by landscape fabric has been impoverished of nutrients for so long. How can/should I improve the soil to regenerate it and allow my new plants to thrive in it?

Oh–by the way–thanks for writing such an impassioned and informative post.

Genevieve October 17, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Actually, Julie, more and more recent scientific research has been suggesting we not dig soil or compost in, either to planting holes or elsewhere. If added to planting holes, it can encourage plants’ roots to circle around and around in the “good stuff” and never venture out elsewhere. And if you amend soil by digging, it can destroy the micro-organisms and beneficial fungi networks in the soil as well as disrupting the minute air pockets in the soil that earthworms make that aerate things.

I’d read Teaming With Microbes for more info: http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microbes-Organic-Gardeners-Revised/dp/1604691131/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287371633&sr=8-1

Or this article by Linda Chalker Scott: http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/Amendments.pdf

I’d recommend a few things to regenerate your soil:

Add as much good composty stuff as you can to the top of your soil (under wood chip mulch, if you use it). Let the worms mix it in slowly. I’ve noticed composted horse manure seems to really liven things up with the worm populations at the very least!
Make sure there’s either a thick layer of wood chip mulch or compost on top of every soil surface, unless there is a groundcovering plant growing there.
Plant! Studies have shown that having plants instead of open space helps keep soil microbes happy.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it!

Julie October 18, 2010 at 9:30 am

Thanks, Genevieve, for such a helpful answer to my question. Now that I’ve dug so many holes and put compost into them, I’m wondering, can I remedy my mistake by covering with compost the surfaces of dirt surrounding the planted holes?

Genevieve October 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Julie, I think that would be great. It’s not one of those things that usually does huge damage except with things that are really sensitive to lack of drainage like conifers (since having a hole backfilled with squishy compost can cause water to fill the hole as well), it’s just not helpful the way we want it to be, so I don’t think you need to atone in any way! It will fix itself in time and the compost will get integrated nicely into the soil.

But adding compost to your soil surfaces is always a great idea and will make your plants think you are the nicest person in the entire universe. So thumbs up there!

Julie October 18, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Thanks, Genevieve, for your generosity of time and wisdom!

Airlia October 18, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I am completely convinced. I don’t have a yard for planting, yet; when I do, I know, I will not be tempted by landscape fabric.
Thank you! I always learn so much reading here.

Genevieve October 18, 2010 at 4:59 pm

You are such a sweetie, Airlia! Thanks for stopping by even in your pre-garden state. If I could convince you to move here you’d definitely have room for lots of gardening and I would also take you for long walks in the redwoods to find four-leaf clovers.

Laura October 18, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Ah, so now that all are convinced of the evils of landscape fabric, and spreading the word, can we talk about that other pet peeve of mine, plastic landscape edging, and discuss alternatives? I’d love to hear what you have to say on that topic, and what alternatives we all are using!

Genevieve October 18, 2010 at 5:03 pm

LOL, Laura, Jenny Peterson just wrote about her pet peeves with edging installations last week, and I was like – YES!!! Sing it sister Jenny!!!

I think we ought to dog-pile her and make her write that edging alternatives post. Someone needs to write it, and I don’t have enough great photos of alternatives to do it justice!!

I’ll start snapping shots, though… Great idea, Laura!!

Lisa Ueda October 24, 2010 at 10:51 am

Love the post hate the stuff. For any serious gardener, the stuff just doesn’t make sense. Even in a slow growing perennial border, things need to be divided, and what a planting scheme doesn’t work and you want to try something new? Stiffles creativity and is just so messy to deal w.

Genevieve October 24, 2010 at 11:03 am

Awesome point, Lisa. Totally stifles creativity, in just the people who are newly exploring gardening as a creative outlet! (you don’t see veteran gardeners putting the stuff down.)
Thanks for stopping by!

Julie Orr Landscape Designer October 25, 2010 at 8:21 am

Great blog Lisa. My husband and I spend the weekend tearing out the weed fabric that was put in to make the garden look ‘pretty’ before we moved in when the house was on the market. My husband was the first to say it out loud, “Look at how the weed fabric has killed the soil!” There were huge dry cracks, no visible soil life and very dry compacted earth. Yuck!

Bill Brikiatis March 29, 2011 at 4:09 am

Garden fabric makes a great “potato bag” for growing potatoes. This is much better than using it as a barrier to prevent weeds. A potatoe bag lets you grow potatoes where you normally wouldn’t be able. You can use leaves as mulch to pile on the potatoes instead of dirt.

Genevieve March 29, 2011 at 9:01 am

Bill, that’s an awesome idea. I can never find the potatoes in the ground, that’s for sure! Only thing I wonder, since I’m a great big hippie about stuff like this, is whether the landscape fabric releases any harmful substances into the soil that food crops might pick up? The stuff I use is made of woven plastic. I wonder if there’s any way of finding that out.

Bill Brikiatis March 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I share your concern about plastics leaching into the food we eat. I’m not even sure who makes it.

I tried to find out if raised beds made of composite deck planking (mostly plastic) would be a problem and it took me a long time to get an answer from the manufacturer. I still don’t know if I’m confident that it is safe.

Genevieve March 29, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I’m really curious about that, too Bill. If I ever hear of anything I’ll email you about it. Not sure we’ll get a proper answer until it becomes important to the field of agriculture to know, since that’s where most of the horticultural research money comes from. I wonder if Linda Chalker-Scott knows?

Jen Wright September 10, 2011 at 4:24 pm

About 10 years ago we bought a swingset, put down the black fabric, then wood chips, for a playground area. After 5 years of 3 kids and 2 dogs, the mulch and fabric were worn and weeds were back. I put down ANOTHER layer of fabric and chips. Now that we are removing the swingset, I was just cursing myself today as I was trying to pull up 2 layers of fabric + decomp mulch. Not quite half way through, I stopped to rest and I googled “do I really have to pull up black fabric?” After reading your article, I plan to go back out and continue the cursing until the fabric is up. Hopefully if we till in the decomposed stuff, the area will be ready for grass seed. Thanks for the insight!

Bobbie November 16, 2011 at 9:24 am

My husband and I were researching how to install the landscape fabric so we could plant tulips when we came across your article. We changed our minds and have decided to use the wood mulch instead. Thank you for writing such an informative article so that we didn’t make the same mistake and learn the hard way.

Aaron December 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Hello Genevieve
I had my landscapers put landscaping fabric on the side of my for weed control.
I am not sure what kind of fabric it is (moisture transfer, etc).
The location is un-plantable area between my and another building, so assumed that landscape fabric and rocks (in future) is right way to go.

What I am wondering is, will it cause structural or foundation issues on that side of my house? Will the soil under the fabric may dry out. I read a post on anther site that said this is a possible concern.

I am Chicago so we get plenty of rain, snow and sun.

Thanks

Genevieve December 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Hi Aaron, I just can’t answer that without seeing your site. Is there a contractor in your area who offers paid consultations that would be willing to meet with you and discuss? I’ve certainly never seen any structural issue from using landscape fabric in this way (which is done commonly), but then I’m not qualified to give advice on structural issues, so if that’s a concern for you, please do consult a pro. It probably varies a lot depending on drainage and the complexities of your site. Do you trust your landscaper to address your specific questions?

Aaron December 11, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Great idea. I will check with them.
I assume that most landscape fabric will let water through.. otherswise it would be like a plastic bag. I’ll check the brand that they used.

Thanks

Genevieve December 11, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Great! There are two types of fabric commonly used by pros – woven fabric which lets water and air flow through, and a sheet of plastic which does not let water through. It should be obvious which you have.

I have never heard of home or foundation damage from using landscaping fabric, but if you have a concern about the structural integrity of your home I would definitely get the opinion of a qualified pro. Good luck!

Kevin May 12, 2012 at 6:28 am

A timeless, good read!

Very few valid reasons for landscaping fabric for HOs – like under stone.

I think fabric under mulch is just a big no-no as it’s a ticking timebomb once the compost has degraded above the fabric to support weed growth. And then not meticulously weeded thereafter.

I’ve got 600ft2 to dig this 10+ year old fabric out!

Once I am done getting the fabric out. I’m bringing in compost/topsoil, some of my own compost I’m cooking, and these rakings (after I solarize the roots I rake together) hopefully have some kind of ecosystem in a couple years. Some of the direct sun area will return to the lawn.

Truely scorched earth underneath the fabric: compacted georgia clay, almost like scraping a road. No worms or signs of anything but roots. Some of these cut roots still in the clay will die, a little ‘green manure’ hopefully composting and opening up pathways for an earthworm army.

Fabric is just so… unnatural.

mocarter November 18, 2012 at 6:47 am

Glad I read your post. Was considering landscape fabric to cover walkways around my gardens. Have used newspaper and mulch but after 2 years it’s broken down and have to do it again. Was looking for something more permanent but, no, don’t want “platicky” and especially if it’s not permanent either.

Monica Felt January 8, 2013 at 8:14 am

Have you ever tried paper mulching Gen? This is an effective barrier when used with a 1-2 inch layer of compost on top. The compost available on the North Coast is so black in color too- adds a dramatic background that really makes the plants pop! The paper can be shopping bags, or 4 layers of newspaper. The paper turns brown right away and once wet stays in place (in fact having a hose handy when applying is good) and you don’t see a shred of paper ever again! It breaks down in a year and then the compost takes over. A yearly application is quite effective- and you want to lay down compost every year anyway. I used to do this for my North Coast clients in Arcata and Eureka….funny you say 14 years of professional landscaping- in the Arcata/ Eureka area?? Funny how us gardeners are hiding in someones backyard cause I never heard about you or saw anything from you the whole time I had my business there doing the same thing!! This was about 7 years ago.
Let’s add that Landscape Fabric is back-breaking and expensive to remove. Having done this for many clients because the fabric had been down for years and weeds were growing in the broken down mulch on top and the ability to play and plant in the garden are lost.

Genevieve January 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Yes, I love paper mulching! Not effective in every scenario, but in people’s home gardens or backyards it is great, and you’re right, the color is so crisp!

When you left, I actually picked up a few of your clients, I believe! I remember seeing your handi-work in a number of lovely places.

Your point about how landscape fabric takes away the ability to play in the garden is so true. That is one of the saddest parts of using it, that it seems to make the garden, a living entity, into a stagnant, frozen thing.

Pablo January 18, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I’m going to be the heretic here and say that in certain situations, I do like the weed cloth. I deal not only with landscapes with plants, but also areas that are not paved, yet I know will never be planted due to no available water source. In these cases, if it’s an area I never plan on mowing or weedeating, the fabric saves a ton of work.

Pablo January 18, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I also would like to add one more thing. The assertion that wildflowers don’t flourish above the weed cloth is not true. I have several areas I’m responsible for with no water source that I’ve decided to simply seed with wildflower seeds. I have Indian Blanket thriving in a couple of inches of wood mulch ABOVE the fabric. Not only this, the same parent plants that I established (by seed) in nothing but wood chips above fabric have thrived as if they’re perennials now for almost four years. The weed cloth kept the old established weeds that were rooted deep in the underlying soil from coming back up and choking the wildflowers out. Now, thanks to the weed cloth, the wildflowers dominate the landscape…NOT the dandelions, fennel, mallow and other nasty buggers that I’d have otherwise had to cut out with a pick ax.

Margaret February 6, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thanks so much for your helpful information! I hope to use landscaping cloth to smother some whitetop (a noxious weed) instead of using herbicide. You gave me a lot of good information on how to do it and what to consider!

Sabrina February 17, 2013 at 8:58 am

I have heard that you can use landscape cloth to make fabric pots. I am having trouble finding info about each is made of, whether landscape cloth leaches undesirables and whether is it the same material they use for fabric pots.

Bill Mastin, Rock House Garden FT.W TX March 16, 2013 at 11:33 am

I am glad I finally found your post. I garden on 2 acres and in the process of establishing a native perennial garden. I am preparing an area that has had crab grass and some buffalo grass for years. I have put down a single layer of news print under an area for wild flowers with a 1.5-2″ layer of fine mulch-compost from a local recycler on top plus shredded leaves. The soil is a 4-6″clay loam on top of caliche rock. The grass has emerged immediately on this area. On the rest after digging one smaller bed where I found an amazing amount of earthworms and the soil was surprisingly loose, I decided to rent a sod cutter to eliminate the top growth and I have put down craft paper with mulch and in other ares, lawn leaf bags after taking them apart to one layer then add mulch. I have taken a fork and poked holes through the craft paper and bags to allow the water to drain into the soil. I had put down some of the thinner landscape fabric in a couple of spots but you have me thinking that it needs to be pulled up. My main goal is to get the perennials up before the grass comes back.

Bill Mastin, Rock House Garden FT.W TX March 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I have also put this fabric down between a row of 40 holly’s and Belinda’s Rose. Are you telling me it would be better to rake off the mulch and put down kraft paper and then mulch?

Genevieve March 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I personally wouldn’t use landscaping fabric except in extraordinary cases. I prefer, yes, kraft paper and 3-6″ of mulch!

Audrey March 18, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Very interesting post. I was considering using landscape cloth for some new xeriscape beds I’m going to convert my lawn into. I have changed my mind though, as my Colorado clay soil needs all the help it can get from earthworms and organic material. Another thing I plan to try is using cardboard, first to kill the grass and then pile a couple inches of compost, soil etc followed by a nice thick layer of wood mulch. I believe this is referred to as the “lasagna method”. I am thinking the initial cardboard layer might inhibit the rampant bindweed, but then still break down over time into organic material that can improve the soil. Plus I have heard that earthworms love cardboard and I have some fantastic nightcrawlers in my yard. Has anyone had any luck/problems with this method?

emily April 25, 2013 at 8:07 am

I want to put in standing beds (~28″high). Everywhere I look they say to line with landscape fabric. But I don’t want polypropylene in my veggie gardens. I’m considering making the bottoms out of wire mesh covered with layers of cheesecloth or cardboard, to allow drainage without washing away all the soil. But I think this will be pretty messy to replace as it decomposes. Any ideas? Cotton denim with air holes cut in? Maybe I could just nail on new layers from the bottom as the old begins to rot?

Thank you!

Genevieve April 26, 2013 at 8:14 am

I have found some pretty small wire mesh at my local hardware stores – there are lots of different sizes of hardware cloth. That might be your best option. I agree with you on not wanting that stuff in my edible gardens!

Kathleen April 25, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Halleluja!
We have recently moved into a house with a 3000 square foot garden all covered in landscape fabric and red lava rock for the last 10+ years.

In just one year, all of the trees, shrubs and plants look 1000x better and are disease free. We have beneficials, birds and butterfly’s that were non existant before. I have 4 composters going and will be covering the garden area this fall with homemade compost finally. In order to bring the soil back to life we brought in yards of compost and ammended it with bone meal, blood meal and kelp meal.

I cannot tell you how happy I am that someone finally told the truth about landscape fabric – IT SUCKS and SUCKS BIG. lol!

If you are unable or unwilling to pick a weed, don’t have a garden or find an alternative you can manage – but landscape fabric is solely for removing money from people who don’t know better.

Genevieve April 26, 2013 at 8:13 am

High-five, Kathleen! Awesome!

Lesley April 28, 2013 at 7:59 am

We made the mistake of landscape fabric 2 years ago. It worked great the first year with no weeds, the 2nd year it was ok but too many weed seeds germinated on top and pulling them up created a mess of fabric being seen. We just finished ripping it all up and the plants underneath that we had planted well not so healthy. All the roots were growing between the fabric and the soil. And to top it off we got artillary fungus. Not sure if it was caused by the fabric or not. A master gardner told us to get rid of the fabric and the mulch so now we are starting over. I am so glad we ripped it up and tell everyone not to use it! It creat more havoc than it was worth.

What are your thoughts on using newspaper since ot breaks down? I have read mixed things. You mentioned in a comment above in certain situations it make be good.

Genevieve April 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I think using cardboard or newspaper is an excellent one-time solution to establish new beds over a lawn or weedy area, but since it can stop airflow, scientists don’t recommend using it often. Use the cardboard or paper, but rely more on a very thick layer of woodchips as your real solution.

Jeremy May 1, 2013 at 10:38 pm

We are trying to do some planting and discovered landscaping fabric had been put under ALL of our garden areas by the previous owner of our house.

Do we need to dig it all up, or can we just puncture holes in it everywhere and let the plant roots and microbes work their way through the holes?

Genevieve May 6, 2013 at 8:42 am

I am very sorry, but you’ll need to dig it up. :(

therese davis May 11, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Thank you for this posting. I only wish I had seen it years ago when my husband insisted we needed it for our garden beds to control the weeds. HA! But more than the fabric? I HATE the plastic sod / lawn mesh that never biodegrades! We saw a robin in our yard this morning that is entangled in it. VERY sad! We are going to try and rescue it tomorrow and cut away the mesh. Wish us luck!

Lady T. May 23, 2013 at 12:44 pm

HELP! I would like to put pretty rocks around my shrubs, trees, to enhance my front landscaping that currently has old mulch. I was told I could leave the old mulch down, put something down to prevent future weeds (I’m not sure what is the most effective product) and lay the landscaping fabric down and then the stones ( white and beige “river pebbles”). Is this the correct procedure for a successful pretty landscape that I won’t regret later in life?

Genevieve May 23, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Hi Lady T! I apologize, as I said to another commentor, it’s really hard for me to answer questions like this online. I’d recommend going to the APLD website and finding a local landscape designer who might be able to come out and consult with you for an hour. They’ll be able to answer your questions, and they will do a better job of it since they will be local to you and will see your site. Good luck!

Misty May 23, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Hi Genevieve! I was searching the web for info on how to apply landscape fabric around existing plants when I stumbled upon your article. Holy Moly…and I am SO glad I did! Let me begin by explaining a little about what I’m dealing with before I ask my question(s): I live in what’s considered the high desert of SW Colorado and am working to plant and landscape my yard (it’s a new build where nothing except weeds has ever been). Though I look up to see mountains all around, the earth here in the valley is just awful…hard, packed, alkaline clay-type soil…concrete-like and dusty when it’s dry; and slimy and glue-like when it’s wet. In what I’m sure can be a subject all its own…I opted NOT to put in a grass yard. I made this decision because 1) I wanted to save water (not only for conservation, but mainly because of the expense); 2) I don’t have an in-ground sprinkler system; and 3) I don’t want to put all my energy into fighting weeds and bare patches in a lawn, when what I would rather put my efforts into is keeping my flower and vegetable gardens weed free and healthy. Okay, so my plan is to xeriscape on various mounded areas of amended dirt and run gravel and cinder pathways around and through them on the flat areas. My 1st question is whether it would be beneficial to use the landscape fabric in the pathway areas where I will be using the gravel and cinder? I already have a 4′ x 100′ roll of something that looks different than most fabric…it’s silvery-grey and looks like pressed fibers…like fiberglass looks. My second question is what sort of mulch would you recommend on the planted mounds? I already planted in two of them, and one has some pretty steep sides. I tried to use cedar mulch, but we’re quite windy here at times and most of it blew away. I wondered about the use of 1″ to 2″ river rock on the mounds, but was worried the stone would stifle or interfere with the plants. Maybe river rock but with mulch in the plant wells? Any and all of your suggestions will be most appreciated and taken to heart. Thanks SO much!!

Genevieve May 23, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Hi Misty! I apologize, but it’s really hard for me to answer questions like this online. I’d recommend going to the APLD website and finding a local landscape designer who might be able to come out and consult with you for an hour. They’ll be able to answer your questions, and they will do a better job of it since they will be local to you and will see your site. Good luck!

Charlotte May 30, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Cheers! I totally agree with everything and some new points I picked up for my next rant on landscaping fabric! I used it the first year I bought a new home in 3 different flower beds I made. Holy cow I had to rip up everything and start from scratch within a couple years. It was totally awful and I almost forgot my pain and was planning on buying some more for a new project cause I was hearing a lot of crap from friends and family for “not doing the job right” because I wasn’t using it. HOG WASH! Thanks for reminding me of my headache. I’m going to forward on this web link to my mom to get her off my back!

Genevieve May 30, 2013 at 7:24 pm

High-five, Charlotte! :)

Sherri June 5, 2013 at 5:34 am

A landscaper covered my entire front yard with landscape fabric, new soil and lovely cedar mulch…in that order. It definitely takes away the pleasure of planting and moving things around. I’m tempted to undo the work the landscaper did – which wasn’t cheap! I’ve also planted ground cover and have been wondering how it will spread…under or over the landscape fabric?? Thank you for supporting my suspicions. I never felt it was a good idea.

Genevieve June 5, 2013 at 7:54 am

There should never be soil OVER landscaping fabric, Sherri. If that is what you have, I am sorry to say I would definitely remove it. It defeats the whole point of landscaping fabric, and I am distressed to hear anyone calling themselves a professional would do such a thing. The groundcover will sink its roots into whatever soil it can find. Above or below fabric. The type of groundcover has an impact on how deep the roots go. Without seeing in person I can’t give much more advice than that. Good luck to you!

Jeanne June 22, 2013 at 6:53 am

ARGH! I just moved into a house with landscape fabric covering the entire front yard (backyard was spared from this monstrosity of a product). This stuff is impossible to garden on top of. I laid down layers of organic green and brown matter, compost, and horse manure…my plants are still leggy…even the weeds. The only thing this stuff is good for is making a warm bed for the stray cats my neighbor collects…and I’m not that happy about it. lol.

Genevieve June 22, 2013 at 8:22 am

Yeah, you really can’t just ignore it and grow stuff on top of it – it definitely needs to be removed. You’ve basically created a situation where the soil can’t drain well, plants can’t sink their roots into proper soil, and the organic matter you’re adding isn’t interacting with the native soil. Your plants are basically growing in a shallow dish of compost and manure – a recipe for pest problems. Time to take it out!

Dee June 26, 2013 at 12:21 pm

OK! OK! OK! I purchased landscape fabric a few days ago for a planting bed under the back window, thinking it would eliminate the need for “weeding” as often. I stand corrected. I’m ripping it out today BEFORE amending the soil, planting new materials, and mulching! Yes, a full 4″. Happy now??

(smile) Well I am ;) –THANKS GUYS, ‘appreciate the enlightenment

Jock July 5, 2013 at 9:36 pm

In my butterfly garden I’ve just planted as a ground cover (on which one can walk) a native plant that grows by rhizomes called Phyla nodiflora (Frog Fruit), a larval food plant for three butterfly species. See http://www.butterflyfunfacts.com/frogfruit.php and http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=PHNO2. P. nodifolia grows 3 to 4 inches high and with time becomes very dense and attractive.

Question: Currently the section of my garden with the P. nodifolia (a work in progress) is bare topsoil with NO woodchips, kraft paper, or landscape fabric to impede weed growth, which is now occurring. Given that the area in question will ultimately be a ground cover, do you still recommend woodchips covering the topsoil? If so, how thick of a layer of woodchips? Alternatively, should I use a ground covering that is more “broken down” — like smaller-particle mulch / fine woodchips that would be (1) a superior growth medium to the P. nodifolia’s root system while also (2) a strong deterrent to weed growth?

Great blog. Very smart, with quality responses.

Thank you.

Genevieve July 6, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Jock, I’d go the route of planting as much of your groundcover plant as you can, spaced close together, so the issue of weed growth is shortened in terms of how long you have to deal with it. If the goal is full coverage, I wouldn’t use any mulch. Maybe a layer of compost, but that’s more for the gcover’s health than weed suppression. I’d just plant the gcover closer together and know that your handweeding effort will be for a short time until the plant fills in.

Joyous July 12, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I feel like I am burning my bra! I just planted a new flower garden and laid a whole roll of that yard killer down and was getting ready to lay some more tomorrow. Well I feel very liberated and confident about starting my new beds without it and removing what I just put down. I feel so bad for doing this to my earthworms and plants, momma is gonna set you free tomorrow, lol! Thanks for info!

Genevieve August 9, 2013 at 3:04 pm

:) You are cracking me up, Joyous! Right on!

Karen August 8, 2013 at 2:12 am

I have some commercial fabric arriving today, I was planning on covering aprox 15 x 4 square metres of ground that the client wants gravelled until they get it concreted! I try to be a green gardener! The problem is the dreaded mares tail, having already used bark chips direct on the soil in another area, the mares tail continues to be a problem. However only a couple of inches of mulch was used, do you think if I use 4″ of bark chips it will stop mares tail ?

Genevieve August 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Karen, I am so sorry, I am not familiar with mare’s tail as we don’t have that weed in my region. I know in some places you can purchase rolls of brown paper for use as a weed barrier, though – use it like landscape fabric – only it disappears after a few months. Maybe between that and a thick layer of bark you’ll be good? I do believe 6″ will stop almost any type of weed, so if you’re still in doubt, more mulch may be the answer.

Serena September 7, 2013 at 12:52 pm

AHHH! I just read your other article, if you choose to use weed mat…..
I am wondering if in my case it will be good for one year. I am not burying the mat, just laying it on top of soil. I found some extra in the garage, and was planning of getting more to finish the project. I am always excited to save money, so if I choose not to go along with the mat, I will succeed. Not sure which route I am going to take….the nettles are off the hook this year, not looking forward to the stinging…..to weed mat or not?!?!?
ps thanks for all the great information~

Serena September 8, 2013 at 9:30 am

I decided NOT to use the weed mat!!! Thanks again for the great information~

barbara September 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm

what can I use for a very large in door planter? I don’t want to fill the whole planter with potting soil?
Thank you !

Orlando Landscaping September 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Hi Genevieve, landscaping fabric does indeed have many drawbacks. It remains popular because people hate to weed, either by hand or via chemicals. The tip you suggested with lots of mulch as an alternative is solid advice. Works for us everytime.

james September 30, 2013 at 4:00 pm

hi,

interesting points there…..I have a different situation though….We have two raised beds 4′x8′ near the woods. We use them mainly for vegetable gardening. Keeping the tree roots from coming up underneath the beds has been a HUGE problem. I’ve tried many different things to keep roots out…..cardboard first (decomposed quickly), plastic and cardboard (roots still pushed through the plastic), and then plywood (worked ok). But just recently I noticed the roots coming in around the base (perimeter) of the beds! Ugh. So, I started shoveling, emptied the beds, and lined each bed with landscape fabric. We’ll see how that works. Hopefully, it keeps the tree roots out!

Carol October 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Help. I have just moved into our new house. Have pulled up some very old weed matting (actually recent layer laid over the top of an older layer!) in an area I want to make into a vegetable garden. The soil is compacted, dead looking and also has quite a bit of bark in it. Apart from adding compost and composted horse manure & straw, what else should I add to improve soil health?

ben October 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Well, my opinion is:

The bark you mention is likely mulch from failed attempts to control the weeds by the previous owner. Thus he/she resorted to the fabric. This is an important clue because it is highly probable that the land you are trying to cultivate is highly susceptible to weeds that had the previous owners spending lots of time and money but to no avail.

In any case, if you want to save money i would not bother planting anything on that soil for the first year. instead use the first year to nourish and fortify the land, and monitor how bad the weed problem will be for you.

What i would do is skip the manure and compost. Instead rent a tiller and dig up all that bad dirt. Then buy (and have delivered) a yard or two of “bedding mix”, instead of mulch or compost. And if you have some big trees, don’t throw their leaves away. Instead use the tiller again to mix in the bedding mix and leaves into the dead soil.

Afterwards let the weeds and grass grow because whether we like it or not, they will help in doing some of the work. They will help re-vitalize the soil by protecting it from the hot sun, keeping the moisture in, inhibiting erosion and creating a home and root system for all those bugs that need to return to fortify the soil, but will eventually kill if and when you plant a vegetable garden.

ps: i am not a fan of mulch. it also contributes to many problems, like fungus, mold and spores of other plants that can grow on top of the mulch.

John Aldersley October 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I’m not a landscaper, just a keen gardener. I have twice purchased houses with black matting in the garden, that had been down for years, and I am firmly of the view that loose mulching, possibly assisted with periodic spraying, is a much better long term approach to an easy care garden. I try to rip out as much of the matting as I can, because being such a sterile soil environment it attracts only the most pernicious types of weeds that return because there is no competition and their roots lie below or intricately bound up with the matting. In each case I have done this, I have then let chickens browse the soil under the trees and foliage. The result is all the soft weeds and grasses disappear, the tricky ones like asparagus and lantana, onion weed and ferns can be brought under control and then attractive plants can be reintroduced (well the mature ones that chickens largely leave alone). The only drawback is some chicken breeds are too vigorous in their scratching habits so you may have a walkway sweeping issue rather than a weed issue. Oh and you get true free range eggs. Bear in mind that this approach requires areas of at least partial shade if you live in hot areas as chickens do not like working in full sun. Only mad dogs and Englishmen do that!

Stacey Stokes November 12, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Hi, Genevieve. I was excited to find your post re the perils of landscape fabric. We finally decided to get rid of all of the remaining original foundation shrubs in front of our house. I had already cut down one small tree on the corner of the house that had completely died about two years ago, but none of the original foundation shrubs had ever looked healthy in all the years we’ve lived here- our evergreens were mostly ever-brown, scaly and sick-looking. I just hadn’t had time to address it until now. After having all the stumps from the original tree and shrubs ground out, we went to replant the area with six new shrubs, only to find that there was a layer, and in some spots multi-layers, of thick landscape fabric underneath about 3 inches of soil on top of the fabric. I don’t think there were multiple plantings using different layers of the fabric, rather, it appeared as if the fabric had been wrapped tightly around the base of each shrub, creating the multi-layers in isolated spots right around the holes where each original shrub was ground out. Just as you indicated the fabric we pulled up had all kinds of roots tangled up in the fabric. And, just as you indicated, the fabric had not kept out weeds, but had kept water and nutrients from getting to the soil beneath it. The Virginia clay soil underneath the fabric was hard and lifeless as a rock! I was glad to see your comments to the effect that pulling up the cloth can quickly improve things because I was worried that our new shrubs would also fail due to the poor condition of the soil from so many years of deprivation. We had already added some compost in refilling the holes when we planted each shrub before I read your post, but, per your suggestions in response to another post, I will go back and add compost on top of the soil in between the new shrubs in the hopes of improving all of the surrounding soil. Thanks so much!

cam March 15, 2014 at 6:06 pm

You just saved me a ton of trouble, problems, and money. THANK YOU!

Mike March 18, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I have found that landscape fabric, the woven kind works great for walkways that you NEVER intend on planting anything. I used it on a little path that is covered with crusher fine and dont have problems but you really have to decide if you are ever going to want vegetation there.

The other option that worked well for me with some cactus beds is my pkanting the cacti and covering the surrounding area with crusher fine and laying down boards and walking on the boards to compact the gravel. You have to hose it down and tap tap ….takes for ever but i have gone 4 years amd zero weeds in my cactus beds. The sould is pretty compact though but again i wont be planting anything else there

Celeste March 29, 2014 at 9:40 am

Thank you for being honest about the weed fabric and how it sucks. I’m looking into mulching my yard and this really helped me make a better decision to not go with the fabric and just mulch 3′ thick to keep weeds out. By the way, I appreciate the genuine and honest post. Sometimes it’s better not to sugar coat things, lol… and you’re a great writer, I enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the great work!

john April 11, 2014 at 11:48 pm

I *loved* my landscape fabric.

When we put in our 20′ x 20′ deck about 15 years ago (height ranging from 6″ to 2′ off the ground) we put fabric on the grass first.

Fast forward 15 years… took apart the deck to replace rotten wood. Fabric was all still there, everything underneath had died off well, no weeds tried to come up. Wonderful! :-)

Removed it all, put a new layer in, covered with a thin layer of gravel, and we’re good to go again! :-)

As for the garden… nah, we never use the stuff. It kill everything! (see above :-)

Wayne April 14, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I’m really stuck on this…. I have taken on an allotment that on the surface looked ready and well looked after. Turns our all the weeds are down because the neighbour sprayed it heavily to keep the horsetail/marestail from spreading to his site. It has heavily spread to most of my site and although its knocked back its certainly not dead.
My most recent thought was to membrane the lot and raised bed on that. Its going to cost a fair bit and tonnes of manure to be moved to fill the beds. No from your article I have seen there are cons, I don’t know what to do!

Casey April 18, 2014 at 5:41 am

I’m not sure if someone has mentioned this in a previous post or not.
I share your hatred of evil landscaping fabric . Instead of using landscape fabric we use newspaper underneath the mulch. It’s biodegradable, and it does so in a bout a year depending on how thick you lay it. Earthworms are very tolerant of newspaper, in fact when you start a worm compost bin you start it with newspaper. So lay the newspaper every spring under your fresh spring mulch and your beds will stay weed free for your growing season!

Drew May 11, 2014 at 4:15 am

Why not mention it holds water puddles for way to long until they evaporate. Makes mosquitos almost happy. The water puddles are supposed to sink through the fabric, right? Well, it does not. I don’t know why. Any ideas?

Jeannine May 12, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I’m so glad I found your site…..just wondering about L.F.in my gardens beacause I wanted to remove it I think it’s such a pain..all I want to put in rhe garden is cedar bark mulch…thank you so much….Jeannine

Carolyn May 21, 2014 at 7:08 am

I am so thrilled I found this site! I was searching on how plants can still get water with the fabric right around the plants. While it didn’t save me money (I take that back because it will in the long run)…it will save the earthworms, my soil, and plants. We just put down the rest of the landscape fabric last night and we were so proud of ourselves in doing what we thought was the proper thing to do. We are getting mulch today and was going to put it on top of the fabric. Thank goodness I still have time to rip it all out before it comes!

Jana May 30, 2014 at 11:21 am

I have long-hated that fabric, for your #6 alone. I used it under a path once, and it should be called “weed protector fabric.”

But I hope you can help me with a question. We recently rebuilt the support structure for our 15×20′ deck, and have a huge pile of gravel we want to spread out under it. What can we put between the soil and the gravel that won’t encourage weeds? We can’t just put the pebbles right on the soil, because with the frost heave we have in Kansas, most of that gravel would get sucked underground in a few years. Would newspaper work here?

Jodie Turner June 26, 2014 at 5:42 am

Many thanks for this Fabulous post! (which I’ve shared on https://www.facebook.com/faeriesrosebay) I’ve never used LF, but was actually considering it for the first time. Here’s my problem: I planted ornamental grasses right in my flower garden. Oops. No one, including the nursery, told me that might not be the best move. I Love them, but I’d like to contain them to a patch about 6 x 8 feet. Any suggestions? Need I say I will Not be using LF?

Jamie June 29, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Hey, Genevieve! You just opened my eyes, I was about to buy some landscape fabric, for a vertical garden little project I’m doing for my orchard, I am doing it with the pallet technique, it’s not a major work, I will be growing there some strawberries and some tea plants, but for doing that I need the fabric for the pockets, though actually they are not pockets, instead I wanted to cover the entire pallet with the fabric and pour the soil inside, just like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPcXoOuDA-I. My question is that if in this case is really not a big deal using fabric, or if it is, well, then what can I use instead to retain the soil.

Thanks a lot again for your posts!

Hyo July 1, 2014 at 8:09 am

Hello Jamie,

I actually came here because I, too, am considering making a vertical garden using a pallet. Although, I haven’t personally tried it for myself, how about using burlap? It’s more natural and has a great color, as well. I saw it on a website but it didn’t say much about it…worth a shot, though. Hope that helped.

Diana June 30, 2014 at 2:57 pm

How do you feel about Rubber Mulch. You just talked me out of L.F.

Addie July 9, 2014 at 12:58 pm