One of my most popular posts has been a Hand Pruner Showdown in which I compared and contrasted Felcos, Coronas, and Bahcos. One of the first comments on that post was a Fiskars fan, saying essentially – “OMG! Try the Fiskars pruners – they’re inexpensive AND ergonomic”.
And so they are! Now that I’ve tried them for myself, I’m shocked at how much I have been enjoying them. As a professional landscaper, ergonomics are incredibly important to me. I want to be able to garden for years to come with no pain or injuries, and the Fiskars PowerGear Pruner has a wonderful fat grip that is very comfortable to use.
I’ve never been a fan of rolling handles on a pruner, because the handles on some brands are hard to grip and get into position. The Fiskars are the first pair that actually felt comfortable to me right away. The rolling handles are meant to help our hands bend in a natural way when pruning, and these pruners have actually gotten approved by the Arthritis Foundation for being easy on the hands.
I’m already a fan of the metal that Fiskars uses on their blades and the special non-stick coating that lets the blade make cleaner cuts – I’ve been using the Fiskars PowerGear Hedgers for years – so I was happy to see it on these pruners. The only improvements I’d recommend to these pruners are a wire-cutter included on the blade, and a sap groove to help divert sap from the moving parts and keep them from sticking together.
So, the good:
- Replaceable blade
- Easily adjustable blade tension
- Very comfortable rolling handle
- Good for small to average hands (even petite-handed Amy was able to prune comfortably with these)
- PowerGear helps it cut thicker branches with less effort
- Non-stick coating on blade
- Very inexpensive considering the features
And the wish list:
- Wire cutter
- Sap groove to divert sap
- Purple (why oh why does nobody make a pruning shear in purple? I think we should petition Fiskars to change their brand’s signature colors to purple and black. I would SO BUY THEM in purple.)
Anyway, Fiskars was kind enough to provide two pairs to give away, so if you want to try one of these bad boys out for yourself, you know what to do: leave a comment here and over at Garden Rant and we’ll each choose a winner next week. Good luck!
EDIT: Ms Green Jeans is the winner of the PowerGear Pruners! Congratulations, Ms Green Jeans! Your pruners will be on their way shortly.