Arcata’s Pastels On The Plaza 2012

by Genevieve on October 8, 2012

Post image for Arcata’s Pastels On The Plaza 2012

For Humboldt locals, the first October weekend of every year means one thing: Pastels on the Plaza. This event pairs artists and businesses to raise money for the North Coast Children’s Center. Each business sponsors a sidewalk square on the Arcata Plaza, and the artists volunteer their time to decorate a square in honor of their chosen business, all for a good cause.

This is our fifth year taking part, and I couldn’t be prouder of my artist, Trevor Shirk. Every year I wonder how he’s going to manage to surpass his previous year’s effort, as I’m always blown away by his work.

This year he took on the ambitious project of transferring our kitten’s sweet personality and fluffy good looks to a sidewalk square in honor of my landscaping business. This is nothing like sketching on a piece of paper, either. The sidewalk is bumpy, uneven, has little pebbles that don’t take color well, and is nearly impossible to color on with any level of control. Well, that’s how I feel about it, anyway. I did the lettering, and after an hour of meticulous work I was ready for a nap. Trevor sketched from 730am to 2pm to create his masterpiece. And yeah, I’m probably biased, but I think it was the very best one there! Smile

Some other pics from the event:

Pacman! Duane Flatmo
pastels T at work

If you want to see more of the finished squares, Trevor has a write-up of the whole event over at his blog. Can’t wait for next year!

Erin @ The Impatient Gardener October 8, 2012 at 5:35 am

A. What a cool event!
B. Are they using pastels not chalk? I can’t believe how vibrant the colors are.
C. Yours is absolutely beautiful. It pains me to think it will be washed away.

Genevieve October 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Thanks, Erin! Yep, it’s pastels, so it lasts a few days at the least. Some last a week or more! A few artists do a technique where they mash the pastels up and mix with water to form a paint, and that lasts the longest. It pains me to think of all of that being washed away, too. We always take good pictures, so we have that. But there’s nothing like seeing the entire plaza covered in art.

Jason October 8, 2012 at 7:05 am

You artist is a talented guy! Sounds like a great event.

Genevieve October 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Thanks, Jason!! We have a blast every year.

Desert Dweller / David C. October 8, 2012 at 8:05 am

What a nice event – I need to take in one of these, maybe even participate with my crude skills just for the fun of it. Each post from there, you are getting me closer to finally take that summer vacation from the searing SW:-)

Genevieve October 8, 2012 at 8:38 pm

You should start one up in your neck of the woods, David! The pastels would last ages there. Though, maybe that’s not a great thing.

If you ever come through the NW, ice cream’s on me!!

brody October 8, 2012 at 9:39 am

Great pictures and a great solution to include kids and adults in working together.

Ed Remsrola October 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I love this! The more I learn about your little community the more appealing it becomes.

Genevieve October 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Well, Ed, if you ever come on through be sure to let me know. We have some great little shops with local food, and while our local nurseries can’t compare with Iseli for the conifer selection, it’s always fun to nursery-hop, I’d think!

Ed Remsrola October 10, 2012 at 8:23 am

I do believe we will do that – we are looking for a lively small community to retire in – someplace with a little more sunshine than we receive around here – and yet close to the coast (and the moisture it brings) is great.

Genevieve October 10, 2012 at 10:28 am

Well, we suit on every count except for the sunshine. I can’t even grow tomatoes here successfully. But the community spirit here is nice.

Roger Johnston October 10, 2012 at 2:30 am

Lovely paint, so bright and colorful. It is like they put a number of masterpiece in a public place for everyone to see.

Evelyn Vincent October 10, 2012 at 2:48 am

That is very cool, terrific artist!