Workin’ Like a Pro: Gardening Tools I Adore Right Now

by Genevieve on October 5, 2011

Post image for Workin’ Like a Pro: Gardening Tools I Adore Right Now

You all know I’m a bit of a tool evangelist. After having countless employees bust up inferior tools during our 40-hour workweeks in the garden, I do get a bit swoony about the tools that last.

But of course, merely surviving the garden isn’t good enough for pros. We do so much pruning, digging and planting that our tools need to be ergonomic and fun to use as well.

I just wrote my first column for LandscapingNetwork.com about my top five tools of the moment. If you’re looking for great Christmas gifts for the gardener on your list (yes, people, Christmas is coming), or just needing to replace that old non-fun shovel you’ve been struggling with, go on over and check out my picks!

P.S. That shovel? It comes in PURPLE, too!

Erin @ The Impatient Gardener October 5, 2011 at 11:24 am

I’m not doing too bad … I have 3 out of 5 of your picks, and that shovel is definitely on the list!

Genevieve October 6, 2011 at 8:47 am

Rockin’! Yes, the shovel is my latest love. Should be shipping to the garden centers in a variety of colors for the Christmas season, so that is awesome. I am going to pester my local nurseries to order them so I can nab a purple one. I know it’s vain, but I LOVE having purple tools. Makes me very happy. Of course *ahem* function comes first.

Monica the Garden Faerie October 5, 2011 at 2:48 pm

The shovel also comes from Ann Arbor! (Well, OK, it probably comes from China, but Radius is based in my fair city.) Also love (LOVE) my hori hori. I’m not big into garden tools and I love that a hori hori replaces my hand trowel, hand weeder, and a any kind of sharp edge.

Genevieve October 6, 2011 at 8:48 am

Oh, yay! I am so with you in loving the hori-hori, for the same reasons. Bulb planter, weeding tool, divider of plants, great for digging or planting small things, can weed in cracks. I’ve gotten rid of a number of tools because the hori-hori does the job for me.

donna October 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm

What is that lovely variegated beauty next to you there??

Genevieve October 6, 2011 at 8:50 am

It’s a golden variegated red twig dogwood! ‘Hedgerows Gold’. I love it, too!

Rochelle October 6, 2011 at 5:52 am

What a great article. As I have none of those tools, I think I’ll print out your article and use it for my Christmas wish list. Thanks!

Genevieve October 6, 2011 at 8:50 am

Awesome, Rochelle. Makes my heart sing to think you’ll be supporting some great companies and getting some excellent tools. Yay!

Val October 6, 2011 at 8:16 am

Since you are a tool aficionado, can you recommend something for weeding? I know, mulch! But I mean before I mulch, or when I move plants and disturb the soil between plantings. I need something to kill tiny seedlings, in particular creeping charlie. At the garden center, they sold me a small rake-like device that is just not cutting it. thanks!

Cherry October 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Well, you sure look like a pro. I actually have all of them, so I guess I aint far behind. And its a great feeling too. Aint it. Keep up the amazing work.

Tom @ Tall Clover Farm October 31, 2011 at 6:50 am

Genevieve you are my go-to gal for cool tools and what I need to make my life easier and my back healthier in the garden. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and verve!