Staying Warm While Winter Gardening

by Genevieve on November 23, 2010

It’s gettin’ cold out there, yet in my coastal climate, we garden all year round. After getting frostbitten toes one particularly nasty winter, I did some research to figure out how I could work outside even when it is C-H-I-L-L-Y out there!

I share my tips in this video:

Things mentioned in the video:

Toasti ToesToasti-Toes Foot Warmers (An older client told me about these – she got them for her husband when he was ill and stuck in bed, and it helped his circulation and kept his fingers and toes comfortable.)

Cooking with ginger, turmeric, cardamom, spicy peppers and cinnamon.

Do you have any tips for staying warm while gardening? Let me know in the comments below!

gina November 23, 2010 at 7:24 am

yeah! I actually did a post on it a while ago!
Today is only going to be in the high 20′s and there is 8″ of snow on the ground. I’m going to wear my Arctic Carhartts and make a snow man. :) I have plenty of plants to move, and weeds to pull, but I wont be able to find them even if I tried!!

Genevieve November 23, 2010 at 7:43 am

Gina, what fantastic tips! I loved your post – you are so adorable in your Arctic Carhartts and all booted and gloved up!

Thanks for the tip in your post about the raingear and how you’d choose Grundens. My crew and I work outside year-round and I hadn’t yet found really great rain gear, especially for a woman’s size.

gina November 23, 2010 at 8:00 am

I’m not sure if Grundens come in woman’s sizes? I just try to get everything in men’s extra small or small. :) Grundens are the best rain gear though. Glad you liked it!

Genevieve November 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm

That’s cool – I can hang with tiny men’s gear. When I went to Target recently though their rain gear was all medium or above – the pants I bought were like a foot too long!! I have been rolling them up like five times in order to work, which obviously cannot go on. I’ll check into Grundens!

Genevieve November 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

Just saw the arctic Carhartt’s at Costco – was extremely tempted after our conversation here but managed to resist because of the Black Friday swarms. Must go back on a less crazy day…

gina November 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

awesome! They are probably selling it at a better price than the work stores, too. but good grief, that place is nuts before and after holidays!!

Genevieve November 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Yeah, it was crazy. I braved the place because I’m looking for a TV deal, but wouldn’t have otherwise…